So you have lots of fresh herbs, way more than can use before they go bad! Preserving herbs in olive oil is an easy way to keep them fresh and also make it easy to use them as needed. What a great way to stop throwing wilted herbs that go bad in the fridge! The olive oil also keeps the herbs from turning brown and from getting freezer burn.
Here are 6 easy steps to freezing your herbs in olive oil
1. Pick the freshest, firmest and crispiest herbs from the bunches and thoroughly wash them. Use a paper towel to pat them dry.
2. If you going to combine herbs according to your preference, do so and keep all combined ones from the individual herbs
3. Chop the grouped/combined herbs. Make sure they are finely chopped so that they can fit into an ice cube. Once that is done, then move on to the individual herbs and chop then also.
4. Fill each compartment of the ice cube with the finely chopped herbs.
5. Next, pour high qualityand if available organic olive oil into the icecubes, taking care not overfill or spill the olive oil, then cover the icecube tray with a plastic wrap and place in the freezer
6. Once frozen, remove the cubes from trays and put them in ziplocs, seal and label them correctly and put the ziploc bags in the freezer.
If you prefer, you can also use coconut oil or melted butter. You can also combine all three oils as they interact well with herbs.
One last tip, add a bit of garlic to some of the ice cubes for more variety. Last but not least, enjoy your herbs through out the year. When properly frozen, they can be used for up to six months.