The Mediterranean Diet is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts, which provide hundreds of micronutrients, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins that fight obesity among others. In addition, it involves the consumption of monounsaturated fats that are found in fish, olive oil or avocado. In addition, it does not refer only to what you can and cannot eat, but it also implies physical exercise. The combination between the Mediterranean eating plan and an exercise program in
creases weight loss and promotes longevity. Exercising should last approximately 30 minutes per day, but it doesn’t have to be strenuous.
When planning a meal based on the Mediterranean diet, you should choose whole grains instead of bread, fish or poultry instead of any other meat, low fat dairy products and nuts in order to meet your body’s protein needs. In addition, the most important aspect of the Mediterranean diet is related to the fact that you must reduce the consumption of saturated fats and a first step would be to use olive oil instead of butter or any other type of oil. Olive oil is one of the healthiest foods you can consume. Because it has much less cholesterol than sunflower oil, it will protect your heart and it will fight against high blood pressure, stroke or even diabetes.
Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet
- Weight loss. This diet can be easily transformed into a weight loss diet. It is effective because of the hypo caloric variety of foods that you can include in your meals and because it does not cause adverse effects if it is followed for longer periods of time.
This diet has a low energy density and also a relatively low overall glycemic index, which, along with the fact that it is rich in water, it leads to an increased satiety and the intake of fewer calories. These aspects facilitate weight loss and stop your body’s tendency to gain weight in the future.
- Healthy heart. This diet decreases the incidence of heart disease and lowers the risk of stroke because it is based on foods rich in omega 3 and omega 6, which are essential acids.
- Allergies free. The Mediterranean eating plan prevents and treats allergic rhinitis and asthma due to foods rich in oil, grapes, citrus, apples and tomatoes.
- Diabetes free. It reduces the symptoms of metabolic diseases, especially in case of type 2 diabetes, even if weight loss is not significant.
- This eating plan increases fertility in women due to the linoleic acid that is found in olive oil and egg yolk, aliments that are frequently present in various dishes.
- Dementia free. The risks of developing dementia, Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s disease are drastically reduced thanks to all the recommended healthy foods.
- Life expectancy is higher for people who cook and eat according to the Mediterranean menu on a regular basis. This is because the risk of developing chronic diseases that cause most premature deaths in the world lowers considerably.