Its scary when your beloved dog gets seizures and you can have quite an awful helpless feeling about the whole thing! The most common question most dog owners ask is why their dogs are having seizures?
In most cases, once a dog has a their first seizure, it will most likely occur again. In most cases a seizure is caused by an underlying problem that need to be addressed A.S.A.P.
There are many possible underlying causes for seizures such as brain tumor, head injury,lyme disease, tick bites, food poisoning,toxicity, kidney disease and many others.
It is important to see a holistic veterinarian who can try and find the underlying cause by process of elimination. Be sure to keep a log of the frequency of the seizures so you can share this with your veterinarian to help him help your pet!
Natural Cures of Dog Seizures
1. Get rid of carbs in their diet and feed them with a high protein diet with limited amounts of fat
2. Chiropractic and acupuncture procedures have been shown to help with treating mild form of seizures. Remember that seizures are all about electricity in the body so practices such as chiropractic and acupuncture that also deal with electricity in the body can be of great help.
3. Reduce their exposure to toxins by having a natural and green home.
4. Nzymes.com is a website where a lot of owners discuss how they eliminated their dogs seizures by introducing digestive enzymes in their food. I personally think this is important especially if you are not following a natural raw diet for your dog as this will greatly enhance their digestive system.
5. One of most common causes of seizures in dogs is diet. Lots of manufacturers use corn and wheat as fillers in dog foods. Most pets are allergic to these grains and should be one of the things that you should be on the look out for in your dogs food before you purchase it.
6. Consider a colon cleanse for your dog- Yes, I said it. Humans are not the only ones that can benefit from a colon cleanse! You can gently cleanse your dogs colon by using a tablespoon of mineral oil everyday, You can also do an enema on your dog, increase exercise and also give them filtered drinking water to drink.
7. Bathing your dog often is also important and avoid smoking near your dog because just like with humans, second hand smoke is highly toxic to dog.
8. There are many amazing herbs such as Chlorella, red clover, cranberry that are good detoxifies and that can be easily added to the food you give them daily.
9. Be sure to give your dog organic and natural supplements to support their immune system. Here are some of the supplements that we highly recommend
- Dr. Harvey’s Emune-Boost Herbal Supplement for Dogs
- Grizzly Salmon Oil All-Natural Dog Food Supplement
- Pet Naturals Hip & Joint Tablets
- Nutri-Pet Research Nupro Dog Supplement
In conclusion, it is best to take your pet to a holistic vetenerian that will determine the undelying cause of the seizures and then proceed to treat your dog with the best, most natural, gentle and holistic approach possible for your beloved family member!