Candida is one of the most common gastrointestinal infections that occur after the excessive proliferation of a fungus called Candida albicans. It’s name means “white and innocent”, fact which suggests something delicate and pure. However, Candida is everything but pure. It causes so many unpleasant symptoms, that it must be eliminated at all costs. Among the risk factors in the occurrence of candidiasis are diets rich in sugar, bread, alcohol, certain medications, pregnancy, smoking, use of tampons and underwear from synthetic materials that favor local moisture. Processed foods, carbs and sweets are contraindicated in case of a Candida infection because they contribute to the multiplication of bacteria in the intestines and help lead to an imbalance of flora. In this article, you will learn more about 7 foods that you must avoid when dealing with a candida infection.
- Sugar:Sugar is considered the most feared enemy in the fight against candida. This is not only the sugar that we add in coffee or that it is added in juices or chocolate. Fruits contain fructose, which is also not recommended. In addition, sugar substitutes, such as sucrose, glycogen and sorbitol cannot be used either. Milk contains lactose, which interestingly enough is transformed by the human body to sugar.
- Gluten: Whole grains provide numerous benefits to the human body if they do not contain gluten. The latter is usually found in wheat, barley and rye. Therefore, read the labels correctly and avoid anything that has gluten listed as an ingredient. Also, gluten is held responsible for bloating in case of a worrying high number of people.
- Fruits: Eating any kind of fruits is definitely not prohibited in a diet against candida, but some of them contain too much fructose, which has to be avoided. Exclude grapes, apricots, pineapple, cherries and others fruits alike from your diet for a while or at least eat a lot less.
- Unhealthy Fats: When trying to lower the levels of candida from your body, avoiding fats is also a great idea. Fat cheese, butter, margarine, mayonnaise, sauces or sweet creams for cakes should be avoided. This list doesn’t include good fats like the ones from olive oil for example.
- Starch: Corn, potatoes, pretzels, bread and other simple carbohydrates don’t help with the multiplication of good bacteria from the intestines. Therefore, not consuming them for a limited period of time might improve your health condition.
- Exemptions: Yogurt is the only dairy product that can be eaten during the candida diet. All the other ones are rich in bacteria that shouldn’t be present in the organism of a person who often suffers from infections with candida.
- Alcohol: The truth is most drinks that contain alcohol also contain sugar, which is a definite no-no. Even a sip is considered cheating while on candida diet because balance is very hard to obtain and imbalance only takes minutes to achieve.